When you try to install the “Reporting Extensions” option from within the Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 Setup files, you might receive the following error:
“You must install SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Service Pack 2 before installing the reporting extensions.”
This error usually occurs when you have MS SQL Server 2008 installed.
How to fix this error:
1. Firstly, verify that the machine you are trying to run this on, actually has MS SQL Server 2008 installed on it. you might say, obviously it is installed on the server, but we have found a number of clients where the DB server is on a different server than the AOS.
2. Locate the AX Reporting services dll from the extracted AX 2009 SP1 folder [\\AX2009SP1\support\axsetupresources\microsoft.dynamics.setup.reportingservices.dll;File Version – 5.0.1000.52]
3. Extract the AX 2009 .iso to a shared folder
4. Copy the microsoft.dynamics.setup.reportingservices.dll into the folder: \\DynamicsAX\Msi\Components32\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics AX\50\Setup \\DynamicsAX\Msi\Components64\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics AX\50\Setup
5. It will ask to replace the existing dll having File Version – 5.0.593.0. Say Yes and replace.
6. Then Install AX Reporting Services extensions. It works fine and the Reporting Extensions are installed nice.
Good luck with this.